Submitting Your Manuscript to PLOS Computational Biology
Are you ready to submit your manuscript? Please refer to our checklists below and then use our manuscript submission system.
When you submit your article to PLOS Computational Biology you will be asked to provide information in addition to the manuscript and related files. Please review the Author Guidelines, Editorial and Publishing Policies, and Figure and Table Guidelines; and then refer to this checklist to ensure that you have gathered all the relevant information, and that the manuscript is formatted appropriately.
Information needed prior to submission/resubmission
- Have you read the license agreement; are you able to sign it on behalf of all of the authors?
- Have you discussed the publication fees with your co-authors? Publication fees are US$2250 per manuscript and will be billed upon acceptance (read more about publication fees). Editors and reviewers have no access to payment information, and hence inability to pay will not influence the decision to publish a paper.
- If you were invited to submit your paper to a PLOS Special Collection, have you reviewed the terms of submission and publication charges for PLOS Special Collections, and are you prepared to adhere to them?
- Are all authors aware of, and do they approve of, the submission of the manuscript, its content, authorship, and the order of authorship?
- Do all authors agree to abide by established study guidelines (MIAME, CONSORT, STROBE, etc.)?
- If your article includes human or animal research, have you read and followed these guidelines, which contain further information on the Declaration of Helsinki and "The use of non-human primates in research"? For research involving vertebrates please note, as part of the ethics statement, the guidelines followed and the committee that approved of the methods employed.
- Have you confirmed that anyone named in the acknowledgments section agrees to being so named?
- Have you prepared a cover letter explaining why you consider this manuscript suitable for publication in PLOS Computational Biology? (For revised submissions, have you prepared a file with a detailed list of responses to the review comments and a description of how you have revised the manuscript?)
- Are related manuscripts by any of the authors submitted or in press elsewhere? If so, are you prepared to provide a copy of each to accompany your submission?
- Have you identified at least four potential reviewers whose e-mail addresses you can provide? Have you considered colleagues who may have a conflict of interest?
- Do you have the following information for all authors:
- First Name, Middle Names/Initials, Last Name
- Work Affiliations
- E-mail Address
- Any Competing Interests
- Financial Disclosure/Funding Information
- Author Contributions
Requirements for manuscripts and supporting files
- Article file in DOC or RTF format, prepared per the Author Guidelines. If you prepared your article using LaTeX, you should upload the file in PDF format for use during the editorial/review process. If the article is accepted for publication, your .tex files will be required. Please consult our LaTeX Guidelines for a list of what will be required.
- Title (no more than 150 characters) and Short Title (no more than 50 characters)
- Abstract of no more than 300 words
- Author Summary (no more than 200 words)
- Deposition of all appropriate datasets, images, and information in the relevant repositories or submission of undeposited data as supporting information files
- Accession numbers for genes, proteins, mutants, diseases, etc. in parentheses after first use throughout the manuscript file
- Standard nomenclature used throughout the manuscript file
- Non-standard abbreviations defined upon use in the text
- All figures and tables called out in the manuscript in ascending numeric order upon first appearance
- Use of PLOS style for references
- Original figure files uploaded as EPS or high resolution (> 300 dpi) TIFF format. If any of your figures are under copyright, please notify the journal office. (Please read the Guidelines for Figure Preparation before submitting figures.)
- Any Supporting Information files should fall into one of the following categories: Dataset, Figure, Table, Text, Protocol, Audio, or Video. Checklist should be used for consensus guidelines for trials. Each Supporting Information file should be uploaded separately. The numbered title and caption for each supporting information file should be entered into the appropriate fields in the online submission system with the appropriate formatting.
- We recommend that you upload all your files in one step by creating a single .zip file, which the submission system will automatically unpack.
Please use our manuscript submission system and contact ploscompbiol [at] plos.org if you have any questions.